[Quietcars] Quietcar article.

Michael Hingson info at michaelhingson.com
Thu Jul 30 20:44:49 UTC 2009

I agree with all the thoughts here.  I would, however, add that the "safety
factor" for audible traffic signals needs to be tempered with the fact that
they do not indicate when it is safe to cross a street.  They can indicate
the direction to cross, but they do not enhance safety and protection from
whether a car is running a light or still moving through an intersection
when the light turns.  I cannot tell you how many times an audible signal
has been installed here in California and when the press gets ahold of the
story they stress how safe that street corner now is for blind people.

I think these signals can help with one's orientation, especially if their
skills are less than desirable.  The signals can help, as I said earlier, in
indicating the appropriate direction to cross by making sounds on both sides
of the street.  They do not indicate when it is safe to cross.  I think this
latter point outweighs some of the potential positive value of these
signals.

The Michael Hingson Group
     “Speaking with Vision”
                 Michael Hingson, President
                         (415) 827-4084
                   info at michaelhingson.com
                   www.michaelhingson.com

for info on the new KNFB Reader Mobile, visit:
http://knfbreader.michaelhingson.com