[Quietcars] Does anyone on list know about this and which carrier are they referring to?

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Tue Sep 15 22:20:13 UTC 2009

I've seen other things on list posted, so I thought that I would share this
with the question of which carrier are these "limited" access" phones going
to be aligned with?

Mike T in NJ

  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org
<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org>
Jennifer Erickson
Motorola, Inc.
(847) 435-5320
Jennifer.erickson at motorola.com <mailto:Jennifer.erickson at motorola.com>

National Federation of the Blind and Motorola to Cooperate on Making Cell
Phones Accessible to the Blind

Baltimore, Maryland and Libertyville, Illinois (September 14, 2009):
The National Federation of the Blind, the nation's oldest and largest
organization of blind people and the leading advocate for making mainstream
devices accessible to the blind, and Motorola Inc., a leading manufacturer
of cell phones and other mobile communications devices, announced today that
they have entered into a cooperation agreement to promote technologies that
improve the accessibility of cell phones to blind consumers.

Certain future Motorola cell phones will provide verbal readouts of
information such as the time and date, battery level, signal strength,
user's phone number, caller ID information for incoming calls, missed and
received calls, and voice mail alerts. Blind users will also be able to take
advantage of verbal readouts and voice-command features for ring tone
status, inputting and accessing contacts, and various other settings.
Motorola expects these cell phones to be available in 2010. The parties have
also agreed to work together to make additional phones and features
accessible to blind users.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "In an age where productivity and success increasingly depend on
access to mobile technology such as cellular telephones, it is critical that
blind Americans have equal access to today's cell phones through user
interfaces that do not require vision. The National Federation of the Blind
appreciates Motorola's commitment to making the features of its cell phone
products accessible to blind users without the need for third-party
software, and we look forward to working together with Motorola to make
future improvements to the accessibility of telecommunication technology."

"I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself...but I think
I have
a right to resent, to object to, libelous statements about my dog."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812
emails:  mrtownsend at optonline.net;