[Quietcars] Toyota issues safety recall advisory.

Robert Wilson bwilson4web at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 30 16:18:50 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have some personal involvement in this one.

> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:45:26 -0400
> From: mrtownsend at optonline.net
> To: quietcars at nfbnet.org
> Subject: [Quietcars] Toyota issues safety recall advisory.
>
> One of the vehicles mentioned here is a hybrid, thus, if not pertinent to
> the list, at least a safety conscious item.

When I picked up my wife's 2010 Prius, I got home only to discover that the 'hooks' that hold the floor mat on the driver side had not been installed at either the dealership or the 'port of entry.' I had the floor mat but it was loose and could shift about. Just today, another new Prius owner reported the floor hooks were missing in their car. You don't know they are missing unless you know to look.

In my case, I called the dealer and picked up the hooks the next day. They didn't volunteer and I didn't ask them to install them. I installed them myself and though I think they are a little cheesy, they work. Others have reported that car wash places often fail to reinstall them properly.

We had someone last year report in a Prius forum they had a 'run away' Prius. Unlike the 'hit and run' posters, they stayed and we began fault isolation. Along the way, we learned they had 'all weather' floor mats. These are about three times thicker, heavy rubber mats that keep ice, snow, and water off the interior. Yet this owner insisted their unusual floor mats were not part of the problem. Eventually they sold their Prius and we haven't heard back from them.

Anyone who has driven with a small animal understands how exciting it can be when the critter decides the driver's footwell is the perfect place to hide out. I suspect those who practice keeping cans and stuff on the floor have also had 'exciting' moments driving. Regardless, every year or so we read of unfortunate drivers who plow into a crowd claiming they were pressing the brake while their engines are screaming.

Having a bunched up floor mat under the brake pedal or laying on top of the accelerator is no laughing matter so the recall makes sense.

Bob Wilson