[Quietcars] Pedestrian accidents - a 24 hour log

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Sat Jan 16 21:36:22 UTC 2010

Thanks, Bob and I appreciated your P.S.

-----Original Message-----
From: quietcars-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:quietcars-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Wilson
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2010 2:33 PM
To: quietcars at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [Quietcars] Pedestrian accidents - a 24 hour log

Thanks Michael,

The listing was a single, 24 hour period, and no hybrids were involved with
these individual tragedies. What they do is color the numbers, the
statistical evidence, and bringing a grim reality with these trends:

1) SUVs and pickup trucks are disproportionate - by concentrating on just
the hybrids, these true killers 'get a pass.' As for the rest of the
accidents, they were engine powered vehicles. As of 2007, it looks like we
are seeing about three, Prius only-pedestrian, fatalities per year. The last
one happened July 1, 2009.

2) elderly are disproportionate - slower reflexes, brittle bones, diminished
sight and hearing, they too often don't recover. The July 1 accident
involved a 90 year old man who jaywalked below an expressway overpass (very
noisy) in front of an 80 year old Prius driver who may have been using 'an
electronic' device (distracted driver.)

Time and time again, we see evidence of human error, which is why accident
avoidance systems, many just coming on the market this past year, look to
give everyone some relief. Pedestrians are saved by having cars
automatically brake and car drivers by having automatic braking before any
accident, both vehicle and pedestrian.

Bob Wilson

ps. I hope your friend's recovery is coming along without complications.
Bone and joint injuries are slow to heal. My wife slipped in the bathroom
last month and her rib still gives her a lot of discomfort.

> Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:36:37 -0500
> From: mrtownsend at optonline.net
> To: quietcars at nfbnet.org
> Subject: Re: [Quietcars] Pedestrian accidents - a 24 hour log
>
> Bob, I appreciate the effort you put in compiling much useful info to
> the list; however, my friend, what this has to do with quieter cars
> like hybrids is not known to me.  This post is not a rant on your
> compilation, but some thoughts on the makeup of persons who truly have
> it out for hybrids and quieter vehicles in general.
>
> We already have a bunch of people who are unaware and uneducated about
> the hybrid and will take some of these stats to heart and this will
> further cloud their minds and allow them to have suspicions raised
> about vehicles and accident stats.  If one truly needs to know about
> this information and be educated, once again, I say to all involved
> who travel, whether you are blind, sighted, have a hearing loss,
> travel with the use of an assistive device, are in a wheelchair or
> whatever, that you must be proactive and learn about and then try and help
yourself out.

> This accident that occurred with my friend in Morristown, NJ, which I
> posted on this and other lists, happened at a light, at dusk when the
> woman was wearing no light clothing and using a black lab, and the car
> which hit her, thanks to your research, was NOT a hybrid, but a dodge
> Avenger, powered most likely by a V6 engine.  The man looked left and
turned and didn't see her.
> Most people would believe that you look both ways in making such a
> decision, but he, allegedly, did not.  Maybe, she jumped the light, or
> entered the intersection during the light having been in her favor.
> But, this was, the key word here, an accident, and we must truly
> understand that nobody is intentionally out to kill, hurt or injure
> anyone.  All parties have to do their part in making travels safe, and
> this is what people who continually harp on this hybrid thing fail to
> see.  As a dog handler, we are a leg up on cane travelers, as our dogs
> are trained to work on motion, and their mission is to not allow us to
> be harmed, to the best of their ability.  But, we have seen that some
> blind people have been struck by cars, some of their guide dogs have
> been killed, and such tragedies do and will occur.  And, as you have
> shown through your compilation, people are hit each and every day by a
> variety of vehicles, in every city and town in this country.  What
> isn't stated is whether any of these persons were visually challenged.
> But, what does it matter.  Someone who is hit is a person first, and
> the disability is second.  And, fact is, we all have to be aware of
> our surroundings, sighted or not and we can't lay blame on drivers all of
the time, and vehicles all of the time.

Quietcars: