[Quietcars] NFB article you should read.

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Fri Jul 9 14:32:36 UTC 2010

I am a car nut and have loved cars since I was a young child.  I listen to
car radio and television shows, read all I can on the net and ride in and
work on as many cars as possible, but here are my thoughts about the below
article which I have posted.  This is a great idea, however, it will benefit
few in the long run.

Mike T in NJ

Rather than concentrating efforts on ludicrous things like driving a car,
which is a one person accomplish or an accomplish which will see fw doing
it, concentrate on training that will allow blind persons to function in
regular atmospheres, like corporations, or to allow one to be self-employed
to then lower the 70 percent jobless rate of the blind or sight impaired.

My thoughts, solely.
Below is an article that a TSE handler posted to another list. What do you
think.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314
, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281
(Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen%40nfb.org>
<mailto:cdanielsen%40nfb.org> National Federation of the Blind to Debut Car
That Can Be Driven Independently by the Blind at Rolex 24 NFB, Virginia
Tech, and Grand-Am Form Historic Partnership to Advance Innovative
Technology Daytona Beach, Florida (July 2, 2010): The National Federation of
the Blind
(NFB)
and Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, College of
Engineering (Virginia
Tech) announced today that they have partnered to demonstrate the first
street vehicle equipped with technology allowing a blind person to drive
independently.
The vehicle
is scheduled to be demonstrated to the public as part of the pre-race
activities at the 2011 Rolex 24 At Daytona. The Ford Escape, equipped with
nonvisual interface technology, will be driven by a blind individual who
will navigate part of the famed Daytona International Speedway course on
January 29, 2011.