[Quietcars] Quiet hybrids: An end to their sounds of silence? information Article

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Fri Jul 16 18:32:05 UTC 2010

Bob, my theories on this blind and other pedestrian interface with autos and
vehicular accidents is that, first off, good orientation skills play a major
part in how people interact on the street, in parking lots and around cars
in general.  Be you blind or sighted, you have to be responsible for your
actions and make assumptions about vehicles around you and the people who
drive them.  Sometimes, it is not correct to assume, nor can you always
guess correctly.  And, adding to the mix, if you use a guide dog, you are
safer, in some instances, than if you use a cane, as the guide dog will
alert you to circumstances and keep you from being laced in harm's way v.
using a cane, during which time and usage, you must play a very critical
role in accident avoidance.  You have NO safety net but your knowledge,
skills and circumstance.

Add to this, that the schools training guides, at least for the past few
years, have had a hybrid car on staff, and that has allowed many of the
schools who could afford to do so, to purchase a hybrid and get the dogs and
handlers familiar with the vehicle on campus and in the cities in which the
guides were trained.

I have stressed n list that those persons who are not as familiar with the
hybrids as they should be, should contact their state agencies who teach
mobility, contact friends who have a hybrid and familiarize themselves with
the ins and outs of the vehicle, so that they can work, around a hybrid in
as safe a manner as possible and not just jump on the "we hate hybrids
bandwagon" as a lot of people do without credible foundation.

I was surprised to hear of how low the stats were which reflected with
direct contact with a hybrid, causing death of a blind person.  There are
probably more scares around a quieter car, but, I am concerned that sinc3e
we can't see whether a particular car that has come close to us is a hybrid
or not that we make general assumptions that it is and mischaracterize the
car or vehicle incorrectly.

MOST cars are quieter today than they were even five years ago because of
noise abatement issues that are imposed upon the auto industry by
communities, so we must truly be careful in assessing this whole scenario of
quieter vehicle "assaults" in this country.

Interesting reading, Deb and bob.  thanks for the thoughts.