[Quietcars] An interesting perspective from someone off list.

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Tue Jun 1 12:56:33 UTC 2010

I was chatting with a friend of mine who works a Seeing Eye dog in Kentucky.
He has cochlear implants, and he's a "reborn" traveler, if you will, because
of this surgery that has enhanced his hearing.

After looking at some of the ideas I'd suggested and some of the ideas that
have been put forth on list, he shares the following as a person who is both
blind and has a hearing loss:

"I think that a hybrid should make a midrange noise. People who lose partial
hearing usually lose the high frequencies first, followed by the lows. The
midrange is generally intact. Perhaps, the noise of a hybrid should be a bit
like a regular internal combustion engine, but a little higher and smoother.

I really like the idea of making turn signals audible outside of the
vehicle. That would be a clicking, making it easier to discern turning
traffic. For backing, I would have the pitch go from higher to lower. For
stopping, the sound would be softer, enough to know that the car is on, but
not enough to mute other traffic sounds."
Has anyone else any ideas as a person who works with a hearing loss and
travels, and who is either a cane traveler or a dog guide user?  It would be
interesting to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.

Mike T

"I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself...but I think
I have
a right to resent, to object to, libelous statements about my dog."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812
emails:  mrtownsend at optonline.net;