[Quietcars] Passenger defeatable systems.

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Sun Jun 6 15:31:32 UTC 2010

Excellent.

-----Original Message-----
From: quietcars-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:quietcars-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Robert Wilson
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 10:36 AM
To: quietcars at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [Quietcars] Passenger defeatable systems.

Hi Mike,

> Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:33:31 -0400
> From: mrtownsend at optonline.net
> To: quietcars at nfbnet.org
> Subject: Re: [Quietcars] Passenger defeatable systems.
>
> This seems like a possible idea.  However, Bob, if people carry these
> devices, who's going to pay for them,

Today, we get two normal fobs. I see the safety fob being part of the the
standard equipment list for all new cars, much like any other piece of
safety equipment because it lets both the driver, pedestrian and by-standers
know there is an at-risk pedestrian in the area. One alternative is the
ability to reprogram a standard fob into a safety fob. Issue three fobs with
one configured as a safety fob.

I've bought fobs for the NHW11 and NHW20 along with a keyless development
system to more fully understand the technology. Lesson's learned: (1) the
fobs are microprocessor controlled, which is critical for vehicle operation
but makes them unusually flexible; (2) the data rates are modest but easily
decipherable and; the small 1x2 inch or smaller boards have very few parts,
very cheap to produce.

I don't underestimate the technical challenges of making a practical,
universal safety fob but  seat belts and air bags had resistance and
development challenges too. Sad to say, the language of the Stearns
amendment all but rules this approach out. Otherwise, I and a few others
would be pretty busy right now.

> . . . how does one go about applying to receive one, prove that they
> actually need one and

The owner has the option of either keeping for their own use, say a
pre-school child or elderly family member, or letting the dealer donate to a
local service organization.

> . . . who is going to carry out
> the testing of such devices on a periodic basis to ensure that they
> are working as hoped.

The safety fob is tested by walking outside. The receiver operation is
automatic and built-in to the vehicle. As for the horn bleep, testing would
be needed but such testing should include more of a click versus even the
muted bleep of the Volt. As newer vehicles come into the fleet, they would
increase the population and because they are 'on demand,' even older vehicle
drivers could hear the warning from the newer cars. In contrast, the
constant noise generator becomes "the boy who cried wolf."

Bob Wilson