[Quietcars] Passenger defeatable systems.

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 02:01:33 UTC 2010

Hi Mike,

That there are inattentive drivers is no more of an issue than
inattentive pedestrians. Sometimes we're all a little bit clueless for
a few seconds...and usually the few seconds that matters. I've worked
with a guide dog, and I understand the intelligent disobedience. But
for cane users, who are still a hefty majority of blind people, that
is moot. We cane users use environmental (read: traffic) cues to tell
us about our surroundings, much like your dog gives you cues. Guide
dog users might be less affected by quiet cars because the dogs can
respond to visual stimuli, but even if I think about working with a
guide dog, I still want to know what's happening around me. Dogs make
mistakes too, and I like to be a check on my dog's decisions. So, as a
cane user -- and even thinking back to how I'd react when I was a dog
user -- I need cars to make noise to live a safe and independent life.

Corbb