[Quietcars] Cars That Think

Robert Wilson bwilson4web at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 11:56:34 UTC 2010

Hi,

Yesterday, June 20, one of the Prius owners posted this description of the Prius accident avoidance system at work in a close-call:

* * * begin quote * * *

Two lanes of traffic, I'm on the left lane and we're heading to an underpass (very short. It just goes under a railway bridge).

It's bright and sunny but kinda dark under the bridge. I was doing
about 60km/h give or take. As I emerged from the underpass, I was
distracted (can't remember what I was looking at). When I looked
forward again, I noticed that the car in front had brake because there
was a car attempting to turn left. I had enough time to brake but given
that I wasn't looking forward prior to the vehicle ahead of me braking,
I kinda panicked so I quickly pressed the brake.

1. Car sensed an emergency stop because my foot came off the accelerator quickly. Brake Assist kicked in

2. Car came to a very
quick stop (I'm impressed!!) with a quick tyre squeal and ABS kicking
in. I didn't come to a complete stop because, like I said above, I had
plenty of space. I just had a reflex action to the brake lights ahead
and the vehicle ahead of me nearly stopped so I did release the brake
pedal when I realised that the Prius was stopping a lot shorter/faster
than I needed to.

3. PCS kicked in (no "BRAKE!" warning or beeping or anything like
that). The seatbelts tightened (I heard the electric motor whirled as
the seatbelt held me right against the seat but honestly, it didn't
click in (no pun intended) until I came to a smooth stop behind the
car. I was thinking, (whoa, the seatbelt's a little tight. On a normal
car, the ELR [emergency locking retractor] would've released the
tension the moment I returned to my position but I'm sitting right now
in my normal driving position and my seatbelt's still tight)

4. A few seconds after I stopped, I heard a whirl and the seatbelts released the tension.

What did I learn from this?

1. Don't be distracted cause things change in a split second (i.e. the car in front moving at 60km/h to coming to a full stop)

2. Trust the Prius' brakes. They WORK and they work really well.

3. PCS is always looking out for you and works even without the auto-brake or "BRAKE!" warning.

* * * end quote * * *
source: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/81679-first-experience-pre-collision-system.html#post1141297

One last bit to share, Mobileye has announced an accident avoidance system, model C2-270, that is supposed to be sensitive to pedestrians and work at night. It is an optical system that mounts between the windshield and the rear view mirror and provides audio alerts and display. It is an electronic, unblinking, never tired, driver's aid to help avoid accidents.

Mobileye plans to sell it via JC Whitney for $920. JC Whitney is one of the most well known, after-market sales companies and reports having 400 units by the end of July. The C2-270 price includes installation at Costco, Sears, WalMart and other auto repair and service companies.

I learned about it last week and have asked for more technical specifications but don't have them, yet. Regardless, it appears to be an Isralie designed system offered by an European company. Still, these 1st generation systems are showing another way to improve safety.

Bob Wilson

> Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 17:51:58 -0400
> From: mrtownsend at optonline.net
> To: quietcars at nfbnet.org
> Subject: [Quietcars] Cars That Think
>
> Not specifically about hybrids, but about cars of the future, some of whose
> features are nearly here or are here now.
>
> Mike T
>
> June 18, 2010
>
> Scientific American Frontiers: Cars That Think The fully automatic car may
> still be down the road, but cars that think for you are just around the
> corner -- they watch out for hazards, they listen to you, and they even know
> when you're distracted. A car of the future may very well be a "computer
> with wheels," says host Alan Alda.
. . .