[Quietcars] Clarification: operator enabled or on all the time

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Wed May 26 18:55:28 UTC 2010

To help clarify the matter, the 2010 Chevy Volt from GM incorporates an
"active" pedestrian alert system.  The driver turns on the flashing lights,
which causes a light beeping sound to be emitted as an audible warning.  HR
734 calls for the development of a "passive" system, one that is not driver
activated; this would enable pedestrians to take a reasonable share of
responsibility for their own safety.

Debbie