[Quietcars] Clarification: operator enabled or on all the time

Robert Wilson bwilson4web at hotmail.com
Thu May 27 01:00:49 UTC 2010

Thank you!
. . .

> To help clarify the matter, the 2010 Chevy Volt from GM incorporates an
> "active" pedestrian alert system.  The driver turns on the flashing lights,
> which causes a light beeping sound to be emitted as an audible warning.  HR
> 734 calls for the development of a "passive" system, one that is not driver
> activated; this would enable pedestrians to take a reasonable share of
> responsibility for their own safety.

This matches my understanding of the current legislation. The PriusChat poster was describing the GM system, "the Driver turns on the flashing lights," and saw the endorsement by the visitors to the GM demonstration. I don't remember seeing visitor criticism of the GM system being under operator control versus the legislative language that removes the driver, the owner operator, from managing their vehicle. The irony is I suspect there would be more tolerance if hybrid owners (actually all vehicles) had a modest, external, audio alert integral with the turn signals and backup lights.

Today, all drivers put up with the relay-click in the cabin. Worse, Prius owners get a useless 'beep' that is limited to the cabin. Many Prius owners get the reverse beep turned to the minimum, a single beep, as soon as possible.

Bob Wilson