[Quietcars] Safety first: Volvo and ten years of Safety.

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Thu May 27 16:04:19 UTC 2010

Taken from MotorWeek.org:

Since this and other lists have expressed concerns about auto safety, namely
regarding the hybrid and how it effects pedestrian travel, no carmaker has
been more about safety than Volvo.  With crumple zones, safety belts and
collision alert systems long before others have had them, I'll share this
writing from Motorweek.org.

Mike T

Safety Center
Jessica Choksey
Volvo has a historic reputation for safety with occupant protection a
cornerstone
of the brand. And now the Swedish carmaker has a safety milestone to
celebrate.
2010 marks the 10th Anniversary for Volvo's pioneering Crash-Test
Laboratory. Located
in Torslanda, Sweden, the research conducted at this high-tech facility
allows Volvo
to continue to break new ground in car safety.
In fact, the safety center is one of the most advanced testing labs in the
world.
Since its opening in 2000, nearly 3,000 full-scale crash tests have been
conducted.
Currently, the facility can handle more than 400 full-scale crash tests a
year.
Volvo ensures advancement in the safety field by continually optimizing
technology.
The latest innovation includes a set of digital high-speed cameras that can
take
200,000 frames per second, in addition to the other 50 high-speed cameras
already
in use.
The lab's test tracks, one fixed and one movable, can be adjusted from 0 to
90 degrees.
The movable track makes it possible to conduct numerous car-to-car crash
scenarios,
from frontal to side impacts.
Crash tests on both tracks can also be carried out in the opposite direction
and
against a variety of objects found in the traffic environment. Tests are
also conducted
in a special simulator. This reinforced car body features an actual
interior, and
is able to simulate intrusion into the passenger compartment, using
strategically
placed pistons.
Volvo is very serious about crash testing, and for consumers, their
commitment to
life-saving technology is seen as a priceless standard on every Volvo car.
By celebrating the first decade of their Crash-Test Laboratory, Volvo is
emphasizing
their dedication to safety. And that's it for this week's MotorNews!
http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/motornews.shtml

"I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself...but I think
I have
a right to resent, to object to, libelous statements about my dog."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812
emails:  mrtownsend at optonline.net;