[Quietcars] Clarification: operator enabled or on all the time

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Wed May 26 13:03:58 UTC 2010

Dear Robert and All,

AS my name has come up in this message, I would like to respond.
I believe that the warning sound needs to be on any time the key is on and
the vehicle is ready to move or is moving.
If we allow the operator to have control of this feature, there will always
be someone who doesn't like and/or chooses to turn it off or just forgets to
use it.
We know that there are, and I think that there always will be, those who
don't care or don't want to follow the rules and if given the ability, will
not use or disable the warning sound, the same way that hot rodders remove
pollution controls, mufflers and illegally modify their cars to suit
themselves.
Driving is a privilege and not a Right.  We all have a Right to live and not
to have our lives cut short or impacted by someone else's negligence.
We can not rely on the good intentions of all drivers to remember to turn
the warning sound on or off.  What if the driver is not paying close enough
attention or just doesn't notice us on the street corner?  What if the
driver is surprised by us in some situation we can not foresee?
What if the driver just doesn't care or hates to have to use it for some
reason as it effects his image as a driver or a Man.
There are more reasons that it should be on and out of the control of the
driver than those for the driver to be able to decide if, where and when it
should be on or used.
AS a car enthusiast, builder and car lover and engineer and a blind
pedestrian and former driver/racer; this is the way I see it.
No offense to Robert or anyone else, but this is the way I think it has to
be and I do think that the legislation should be made to bring this about.

Thank you Robert for your post.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.
Former Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer
Builder of the Lunar Rovers and the F-117 Stealth Fighter.