[Quietcars] Passenger defeatable systems.

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Mon May 31 23:57:20 UTC 2010

Well put, Mike. As I read your clear description of the many ways
 in which blind pedestrians use ambient sound, it struck me how easy it is
for us to use some of the same terms and mean entirely different things. I'm
certain most sighted people, since they have never had occasion to ponder
the question, have no idea of the richness of information conveyed to us in
the average traffic situation. At the same time, any blind traveler uses
rich audible information as a matter of course and doesn't dissect its
content consciously. We know, however, that loss of any of that content
would make a huge difference in our ability to interpret traffic movements.
So when we say that we want cars to be audible, we mean that we want to be
able to gather the same rich information as we can now. When others say they
want the cars to be audible for us, they may mean that they want a sound to
alert us to their presence, not realizing how meager that information alone
would be.
What an interesting exercise in people being separated by the same language.
It's good that this discussion arose. I know I've learned something from it.
I agree with you that a wireless device would be nearly totally unacceptable
because it would give us far less than complete information. I also don't
want to have a gadget attached to every body part -- not to mention the
problems of broken or lost electronics, failed batteries, or digital
glitches.