[Quietcars] How will the Start/Stop system affect blind pedestrians?

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Wed Sep 29 01:04:11 UTC 2010

Jewel, the stop/start technology poses problems for anyone, let alone blind
people.  To save fuel and energy, this is going to have to be the way we
pursue the challenge, and, components like air conditioning and other
accessories will have to be able to run off of automobile alternators and
generators, thus, there will always be some noise.

I have not looked into this problem as such, but I think that there is going
to have to be some kind of noise factor implemented in order to make the
roads safer for all pedestrians whether this issue surrounds hybrids of this
stop/start system about which you write.  I travel with a Seeing Eye dog,
but on  the whole, which I think, not because of the school from which I got
my dog, sets a little higher bar for safer travel over a cane with regard to
the hybrid or quieter car, but I think that it is incumbent upon all of us
who are out in the streets to familiarize ourselves both with changing
traffic patterns and automobile usage in order that we keep ourselves safe
and keep motorists on their collective toes as well.

Mike T in NJ, with Seeing Eye dog Brent.