[Quietcars] Ford adds stop start system to 2012 vehicle lineup.

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Sat Jan 1 13:04:24 UTC 2011

Below is an article from SpeedChannel about the start/stop system we have
been discussing.  It doesn't have any indication of noise emitting apparatus
on board, so, we'll have to see if things change to make consumers aware of
the car's presence other than being able to visually perceive that the car
is nearby.

Mike T

Ford's newly introduced C-Max compact minivan will be one of the first
vehicles to get the Auto Start-Stop system. (Photo: Ford) European drivers
are already well-versed in fuel-saving start-stop technology, which shuts
down the engine when the vehicle is stopped and cranks it on again when the
brake is released.
But we Yanks haven't joined that party yet. Why? Because of differences in
the way the U.S. tests fuel economy, for the most part. Without a real
numbers difference to sell the feature to consumers, it's hard to justify
the added cost.
Still,
Ford
is moving ahead with plans to add its Auto Start-Stop system to its North
American fleet of vehicles starting in 2012. This means that most of Ford's
range could see boosts of four to 10 percent in real-world city fuel economy
and a reduction in tailpipe emissions in crowded city traffic.
Ford is no stranger to start-stop tech; more than 170,000 hybrids sold in
North America since 2004 have used it, and Ford's European vehicles account
for even more. The first vehicles to get the automatic start-stop system
globally are the Focus and the new C-Max compact minivan.
"Ford Auto Start-Stop works so fast and so seamlessly, most drivers won't
even notice it is there, though they will notice the benefits in their lower
fuel bills," said Barb Samardzich, Ford vice-president of powertrain
engineering.
Changes to vehicles getting the start-stop function will include an upgraded
12-volt battery capable of powering the extra starts, an upgraded starter
motor and the necessary control electronics.
http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/green-ford-adding-stop-start-system/
"I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself...but I think
I have a right to resent, to object to, libelous statements about my dog."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812
emails:  mrtownsend at optonline.net;