[Quietcars] immediate and delayed effects of legislation

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Sun Jan 30 20:31:33 UTC 2011

It may be that manufacturers may try and stall compliance regarding these
hybrid and electric car issues, but it's bound to take shape, despite what
hey do.  We have to know, however, that there are going to be issues with
proprietary software, gaining entrée into certain manufacturers' software,
so-called design issues, and as of yet, nobody has agreed upon the sound
that a car or better still, each vehicle should make and where it should
emanate from on the vehicle, etc., to my knowledge.  I say this as a car
enthusiast, a guide dog handler and a person without sight, last.  I phrased
that last sent3ence in this way because these quiet cars not only effect us
blind citizens, but all persons who travel on foot, in cars or by other
means of conveyance.  These laws, if you think out them, will assist
everyone in keeping safe, thus, there is larger than a blind or elderly
audience to play for.

I see many entanglements that will occur, the least of which is that
everyone thinks that this is a good idea and they will have to do it.  We
know why, now comes the how, where, when and so on.  This may take, as bob W
says, years.