[Quietcars] Belling the Cat: The Long Road to the Passage of the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, The Braille Monitor, June 2011

Ken Stewart cclvi at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 20:36:52 UTC 2011

Great article, Debbie!  As you know, I am now concerned that this legislation will have an unintended negative side effect-  manufacturers may sit on their hands waiting until the government tells them just what is required.  (which could be as late as 2017, as your article points out)
    Therefore everyone, I think our advocacy should include two efforts;  1.  urging that state and local jurisdictions refrain from purchasing any AFV's lacking an audible feature, and,  2. pressing all states that do not yet collect pedestrian accident data that identifies whether the vehicle is an AFV, to do so.  Also, I am wondering what advice we should have "out there" for those conscientious drivers who want to be environmentally responsible and concerned about pedestrian safety, when they go car shopping.  Does someone on this list have a particular model to recommend?  Does anyone know of any research yet on what I call, "The Roulette Wheels" technique?  A small
 metal object such as a nut or ball bearing, is placed loose inside each of the vehicle's four hubcaps.  When the wheels are rolling slowly the nuts rattle As the speed increases, the sounds become more like rapid ticking.  And, then they are silent just like the spinning roulette wheel at higher speeds.