[Quietcars] ?blind man driving.

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Sun Mar 6 17:53:10 UTC 2011

Is this practical; probably not, but there are some things that will come
out of this test.  Probably, the most practical, as I see it, is the
interaction between a cane user and some functional mobility aids, as people
with guide dogs have a built in safety net and a bit more reassurance, in my
personal view, walking with their dogs.  They don't have to constantly
"watch" out for trash cans, and obstacles that a dog handler will avoid,
whereas a cane traveler will have to keep those in his constant thoughts.
There are advantages of traveling with each medium, and this story is
particularly interesting to me as a car nut, as a handler of a guide dog and
as someone who wants to see forward progress for blind as well as other
travelers being exhibited positively on center stage.

I am surprised that this didn't get more airplay on the blindness lists,
being that NBC put this on today in prime Sunday airtime.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TORCtechnologies

"I am accustomed to hearing malicious falsehoods about myself...but I think
I have
a right to resent, to object to, libelous statements about my dog."
-Franklin D. Roosevelt
Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812
emails:  mrtownsend at optonline.net;