[Quietcars] Quiet vehicle warning sounds

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Sun Nov 20 19:46:34 UTC 2011

Hope this helps you.  I am a car nut and look at these things critically and
practically, and I have found a lot of faults with the ways in which people
review cars; but then again, why would they review a car for its silence and
potential hazardous conditions that might cause people to become more aware.
I am thankful that I choose to travel with a dog guide from The Seeing Eye,
Inc., and many of our schools are proactive in the ways in which they train
our dogs and us to utilize them around the hybrid vehicle.
We should not take the fact that both the ACB and NFb have put a lot of
elbow grease into getting laws legislated for for granted; there is a  lot
of work to be done regarding this quieter car issue, from the types of
sounders utilized to getting all manufacturers on board implementing they
hardware and software.  I truly commend all who have tirelessly worked on
this from any angle, but here is what I think and a bit on what comes to my
fingertips in a few seconds.

As for stats, I am not sure where this is going to go.  I know that
Mitsubishi and Nissan have a production vehicle available, with decent
built-in sounders.  There are others planned by a lot of manufacturers.
Unfortunately, Chevrolet Volt missed the point and had a driver programmable
switch to defeat the alarms of warnings on early vehicles.
This is supposedly going to be rectified.

Luxo brands from Infinity,
Tesla and other manufactures have some good ideas.
When you take a look at the reviews of particularly the
Chevrolet
Volt, it mentions nothing about pedestrian warnings, as they are so damned
hung up on the fact that it is a gas/electric vehicle, and didn't want to
say anything about the dual mode purposes until they were forced into it.

 You'll find some info from Wikipedia below, but this is a quick overview.
Each manufacturer, particularly ford with its focus, needs to step up.

Mike T
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_warning_sounds

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree
with them.
-- President George Bush

Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812