[Quietcars] NHTSA Administrator on Rule

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 10 18:50:51 UTC 2011

Dear Mike,

I am not going to debate this with you.  I already get it.  You like cars
and don't want anything done to them.
I only care about myself and other Blind People like me who need to have a
fighting chance to get across the streets alive.
I love cars too and am a charter member of the CARS Division.  I have built
and driven many cars over the years and owned 7 cars when I met my wife in
California.
I even worked for Barris Brothers Custom Cars in Anaheim in the mid 1960's
when we were building the "BAT Mobile" of the TV series and the Munster's
Roach Coach and Dracula.
I loved driving and really miss it, but now as a blind person, I must think
in other ways.
I no longer have 3,000 pounds of metal wrapped around me when I cross a
street.  I can not see the next break in the traffic to know when I can
begin my crossings.
I have only my ears and my skills to guard me.
I now use a guide dog to help me get around, but he can not make the
decision about when and where to cross or not.  I have to make that choice
based on input I get from my surroundings and the skills I have been taught.
I need to hear the cars coming and to know , by the sound, that I am dealing
with a car or truck or bus or motorcycle.
I need to have some way of gaging how fast it is approaching, which way it
is going
I don't want to diminish other people's joy of driving, but driving is a
privilege and not a Right.  I just think that all vehicles need to emit
enough sound that they can be detectable at a reasonable distance, that
someone who is dependent upon their hearing to cross streets can hear them
gage them and avoid being hit by them.
I think that only testing, can show this and help us to set some standards
both here and around the World.
I said 250 feet, but I am not locked into that distance.  I know that a car
traveling at 50 to 60 MPH covers allot of ground in 3 seconds and that
amount of time is about all the time we get to make a decision to walk or
stay put.
I do not want to place my life in danger or get blood all over someone's
nice new shiny electric car either.
I feel what we are asking for is reasonable and achievable, but must have
some standards that work for us, can be reached by the manufacturers and
enforceable under the Law.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.
Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer
Builder of the Lunar Rovers and The F-117 Stealth Fighter