[Quietcars] discussion of future car sounds

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Tue Oct 11 04:41:05 UTC 2011

Bob,

Yes, absolutely, I want cars to sound like cars.  If I want to go to an
amusement park, I'll buy a ticket to Disneyland.

Your support of our safe access to the public streets has never been in
doubt.  I've always found your comments both technically awe inspiring and
supportive of blind people.

My earlier point is that supporting cars sounding like cars does not mean
opposing collision avoidence systems or any other technical improvement that
would make the streets safer for everyone.  It isn't an either or
proposition.  Ultimately, we need both.  It's just that I am not willing to
trust my safety completely to the car or the driver.  I want to bear my
share of the responsibility, too, until we reach the time when cars are so
smart that no pedestrian need ever fear.  Even then, I believe pedestrians
need to treat cars and their drivers with courtesy and respect.  Just
because pedestrians might have the right of way In some circumstances
doesn't mean that pedestrians have the right to fail in courtesy and respect
for drivers.

So, you see, we really don't disagree on anything fundamental.  Your
additions to the list have helped take the discussion from the purely
philosophical into technical realms where I would never have dared venture.
I still am not likely to read anything too technically involved, so I find
your summaries particularly helpful.