[Quietcars] discussion of future car sounds

Dewey Bradley dewey.bradley at kc.rr.com
Tue Oct 11 04:59:13 UTC 2011

I agree with you all the way

----- Original Message -----
From: "michael townsend" <mrtownsend at optonline.net>
To: "'Discussion of new quiet cars and pedestrian safety'"
<quietcars at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Quietcars] discussion of future car sounds

Mary
Ellen, you make some very valid points, but I hear blind people whining
about motorist inattention to driving, while I notice that on dog guide
lists and iPhone lists that people use their phones, iPods and
gps devices while traveling, and this is not just limited to while they are
on buses.

I think, for example, that most dog guide institutes recommend that you be
well acquainted with your dog guide, and this means for a period of at least
six months, prior to the utilization of such devices.  Many people do not
follow that prescription, however, and bring their devices to whatever
school they attend and are reprimanded by instructors most often when they
bring them out.

Cane travel demands even more attention, as one has to navigate around,
under and amongst things and pedestrians.
Conversely, a dog guide "watches" out for these objects, and this is where
some dog guide handlers fall into the trap of thinking that this modality of
travel is, at times, a more secure one.  I think that it is a bit safer, as
the teamwork between master and dog lends itself, as far as I am concerned,
to a more fluid and security modality of travel, and in the case of
navigating amongst the hybrid or more silent vehicles, in the case of most
four cylinder and six cylinder cars which have not been equipped with tuned
exhausts.
Dog guide schools train their students to work in and amongst hybrid
traffic, as
Seeing
Eye and possibly
Gdb have done so for at least four years now, and have hybrid vehicles as
part of the arsenal, of training tools.

However, this does NOT excuse dog handlers to challenge the strength of
their handling match and teamwork unnecessarily by forcing the issue.

As I have been party to read on this list for some while now, the blind
pedestrian, as a general rule, feels that the government is responsible for
making such decisions as far as keeping "us" in quotes saf3e.  However, I
have heard very little, but for some testing amongst N
Fb opportunities, in training blind pedestrians to work amongst hybrid cars
and to become familiar with hybrids on THEIR OWN, in emphasized capital
letters, or to commit to finding friends and folks whom they know who have
hybrids so that they can become familiar with the vehicles and thus be more
aware of what the pedestrian can and cannot do amongst them and what to
expect from associations with them on the streets and in our daily lives.

I am not bashing, but just stating real facts here, and if this seems a bit
harsh, so be it.  It is not the government's ultimate responsibility to keep
handholding a particular culture or minority from cradle to grave, but it is
an opportunity for the government to step in and make things better,
accessible, dependable and beneficial for the masses, and in such cases as
making hybrids audibl3e, it would benefit more than the blind, which we
sometimes forget on our particular blindness email lists.  \

I am a proponent of dog guide usage, a proponent of proactive interaction
between agencies, consumer groups and manufacturers, and as such, I feel
that a lot of unnecessary whining has taken place by disabled groups about
certain things and the lack of responsibility has to be borne by the
constituents, in large part to interact with things and circumstances that
are out there, and to work towards a common resolution to problems, as most
blind folks have done and this organization, in particular, as well as the
Ac
B have done.

10 years ago we had!
Steve Jobs! Johnny Cash! And Bob Hope!
Now we've got No jobs, no cash and no hope!

Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812
emails:  mrtownsend at optonline.net
         michael.townsend54 at gmail.com