[Quietcars] Google car rolling in Nevada.

michael townsend mrtownsend at optonline.net
Wed May 9 14:57:33 UTC 2012

Because this is controversial, I'm going to state that though this
technology is here, it is not going to be for the masses.  It may further
benefit other apps, but driving  Prius is not what I would deem exciting, or
a Ford Escape.
But, I guess, it's the fact that you can nav your own vehicle.  I love
English sports cars that make awesome noises.  Just my humble.
Mike

Google gets Nevada driving licence for self-drive car

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17989553

Google gets Nevada driving licence for self-drive car Google has been
experimenting with driverless Toyota Prius cars in the US Driverless cars
will soon be a reality on the roads of Nevada after the state approved
America's first self-driven vehicle licence.
The first to hit the highway will be a Toyota Prius modified by search firm
Google, which is leading the way in driverless car technology.
Its first drive included a spin down Las Vegas's famous strip.
Other car companies are also seeking self-driven car licences in Nevada.
Accident
The car uses video cameras mounted on the roof, radar sensors and a laser
range finder to "see" other traffic.
Engineers at Google have previously tested the car on the streets of
California, including crossing San Francisco's Golden Gate bridge.
For those tests, the car remained manned at all times by a trained driver
ready to take control if the software failed.
According to software engineer Sebastian Thrun, the car has covered 140,000
miles with no accidents, other than a bump at traffic lights from a car
behind.
Human error
Bruce Breslow, director of Nevada's Department of Motor Vehicles, says he
believes driverless vehicles are the "cars of the future".
Nevada changed its laws to allow self-driven cars in March. The long-term
plan is to license members of the public to drive such cars.
Google's car has been issued with a red licence plate to make it
recognisable. The plate features an infinity sign next to the number 001.
Other states, including California, are planning similar changes.
"The vast majority of vehicle accidents are due to human error," said
California state Senator Alex Padilla, when he introduced the legislation.
"Through the use of computers, sensors and other systems, an autonomous
vehicle is capable of analysing the driving environment more quickly and
operating the vehicle more safely."

Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's
making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is
in charge?
Jerry Seinfeld

Mike Townsend and Seeing Eye dog Brent
Dunellen, New Jersey  08812