[QuietCars] bike lanes

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Tue Jul 7 21:11:41 UTC 2020

We need your feedback and assistance!

The Canadian Federation of the Blind has launched a human rights complaint
against the city of Victoria, British Columbia and BC Transit

The city of Victoria has built dedicated bike lanes that require pedestrians
to cross the bike lane in order to reach "island" or "floating" bus stops in
the middle of the block.  The bike lanes could have been built in a manner
that would have avoided causing pedestrians and bicyclists to occupy the
same area, but they chose this very dangerous design instead.

Creating spaces where pedestrians and bicycles mingle is becoming more and
more common, we need to hear from anyone who has faced difficulty because of
this or a similar design.  If you have been hit by a bicycle, come close to
being hit by a bicycle, or have changed  your travel patterns to avoid areas
where you would be required to cross a bike lane in order to reach or leave
a bus stop, we need to hear from you.  Please write me at president at cfb.ca
<mailto:president at cfb.ca>  and tell your story.  Please include your name, a
description of the event, and your telephone number so that we can contact
you.  If you prefer, just send your phone number and someone will call to
get your story.

Thank you for your help.  It is essential to send the message that blind
pedestrians must be taken into account when designing cities.

Mary Ellen