[rehab] vibrating NFB cane

Lansaw, Jane Jane.Lansaw at dars.state.tx.us
Wed Dec 10 20:18:46 UTC 2008

That's right Dick.  This was an NFB 50/50 cane and it's primary selling
point was its implications for deaf blind travelers.  I want to buy one
for experimental purposes.  When Mr. McGirr brought it, we discussed the
ability to detect an open bus door, a person in line ahead of you and
something large, like a bus arriving in front of you as you stand in one
spot.  We get a few deaf blind folks and some with neuropathy.  I will
be interested to see if folks with neuropathy even know if the cane is
vibrating.  Mainly though, like most ETA devices, I think it's just a
toy for travel teachers.  At least until it demonstrates some usefulness
for specific blind people.  Mr. McGirr seems to have dropped off the
face of the earth though and I left a message with our tech department
in Baltimore to see if they know what happened to the device.

Jane