[rehab] For individuals interested in earning doctoral degrees.

Edward Bell ebell at latech.edu
Wed Nov 11 00:23:35 UTC 2009

FYI, If you are interested in, or considering pursuing education to earn a doctoral degree, see the below message:

Dear Colleagues,

As you may be aware, we are facing a significant shortage in our field of professionals trained at the doctoral level. This issue has been brought up in both informal settings and in the Rehabilitation Counseling Literature (see Ebener, 2004; Schultz & Millington, 2007). Last year, in an effort to facilitate the recruitment of potential doctoral students into doctoral programs, we began a national database of students who might be interested in pursuing a doctoral degree. We had over 200 names and email addresses submitted, and just over 100 students completed the information form. Once they had completed the form, their contact information was distributed to participating doctoral programs to be used in recruitment activities. Considering the small number of doctoral programs in our discipline, generating this many potential students with an expressed interest in doctoral studies in a single database was a successful endeavor.

In evaluating the process, we would like to increase the participation of rehabilitation counseling education programs across the nation. We sent the information last year to program directors, and had about a 30% response rate. This year we are sending the invitation to participate to all faculties through the NCRE listserv. We encourage you to reflect on your students, and refer those whom you feel would be successful in a doctoral program to the national database.

There are two ways you can participate:

1.       Use the faculty referral form (click this link: http://sail2.ext.usu.edu/doc/ProfLetter.cfm ): You will see an introductory letter and instructions. We are asking you to put in the names and email addresses of students you would like to encourage to go on for a doctoral degree. The student will automatically receive an email with the necessary links inviting her or him to provide contact information to the national database of potential doctoral students. We encourage you to use this method. In many cases students may not be sure if they want to pursue a doctoral degree, or may feel that they shouldn't provide information if the decision isn't finalized. Our email to students explains that this is a great way to get connected with doctoral programs to gather the necessary information to make an informed decision.

2.       Send the student form link (send them this link: http://sail2.ext.usu.edu/doc/StudentLetter.cfm ): Last year we had a few requests to provide a link that the student could fill out without having the faculty refer them to  the database. Send the student this link and he or she will be able to provide contact information directly. May we suggest that you not simply forward this to all of your students as many students with a strong potential for doctoral studies in rehabilitation may ignore this opportunity. If you decide to use this option, we recommend that you have a specific dialogue with the student about doctoral studies. Our hope is that this process will increase the discussion about doctoral studies in master's and  undergraduate programs.

We want to assure you that all information submitted in this process is used for doctoral program recruitment only. Doctoral programs are required to agree in writing to not use the information for any other purpose before they receive the list of students and contact information.

We realize this is a fairly different approach to doctoral recruitment. However, building on the success of the process last year, we are excited to continue this initiative. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. I can be reached by phone at 435.797.3478, or by email at jared.schultz at usu.edu.

Sincerely,

Jared Schultz

Utah State University

National Clearinghouse of Rehabilitation Training Materials