[rehab] Fwd: announcement: Especially for students and international

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Fri Jun 25 14:23:10 UTC 2010

Hi,
I wish I were a lot younger, because I would love to attend this school.
You may not know this, but IISE is a spinoff of Braille Without Borders,
which was founded by Sabriye Tenberken, a blind German woman who invented
Tibetan Braille and opened Tibet's first and only center for the blind in
Lhasa.  She was joined by Paul Kronenberg, who ultimately became more than a
friend. I first learned of her last year when we were doing the Braille
coins at some local bookstores.  One of the managers brought me her book and
asked if I'd read it, and I was embarrassed to say I hadn't.  Her school in
Tibet was featured in Eric Weihenmayer's film documentary "Blindsight",
which many of you have probably seen. In 2005 she was nominated for the
Nobel Peace Prize.  She is one of the world's most interesting blind people,
and it would be great if we could have her speak at our convention sometime.
Check out her website at www.braillewithoutborders.org.
Dick Davis
BLIND, Inc.