[rehab] NFB center in Florida

Brian Miller brian-r-miller at uiowa.edu
Tue Apr 5 16:27:11 UTC 2011

Hi RJ,

Thanks for sharing these materials.  What I am not clear on is the status of
this effort.  The description of the facilities and the program implies that
this  center is up and running.  If not, what is your target date for
implementation?  How much support in the state is there for a residential
training center like those in Colorado, Louisiana, and Minnesota?

I would add, just as an observation, that apart from the reference to the
BEP training component, there is not much discussion here of vocational
rehabilitation (VR) training.  Is it the intention that the center be funded
by IL and BEP referrals only?  If so, I doubt there would be the funds to
sustain a residential training center from those grant sources.  I would
suggest bolsterering substantially your connection to the VR training
process.  Perhaps this is intended to be strictly pre-vocational, but
nevertheless, if you want VR consumers with IPEs to be able to come to the
center and get training, there needs to be a clear vocational component to
the program, and vocational training elements, assessments, OJT, whatever
seems appropriate.

Just some thoughts.

Brian Miller