[rehab] Medicaid Payments for O&M Services

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Thu Jan 20 16:21:05 UTC 2011

Gabe,

Read Eddie Bell's response, which has all the information you need.  To add
to it, no medical doctor, ophthalmologists included, is competent to
prescribe cane travel instruction or any kind of blindness rehabilitation.
Ophthalmologists' education about blindness is usually confined to a quick
visit to the local blind center.  I know that from talking to a number of
them - they really know nothing about blindness.  They are trained to see
blindness and blind people as a problem that needs to be solved.  Blindness
rehabilitation professionals, especially the kind that graduate from Dr.
Bell's program, actually do know a lot about blindness, and state rehab
programs are actually funded to deliver the kinds of intensive services
blind people need.

And don't believe the 70% unemployment figure, which is based on projections
derived from very fragmentary studies done years ago - nobody has ever done
a real census of blind people in the nation.  And even if the 70% figure is
real, it is based on working age blind people, including people who have
just lost their eyesight, people who don't want to return to work because
they are afraid of losing their Social Security benefits, people who are
over the age of 55 and want to be retired, people who are in training
programs and postsecondary education, etc.  If it was based on blind people
who were ready for and actually looking for work, I think it would be a lot
lower.

A lot has to do with quality of training: I work for BLIND, Inc., and 90% of
our graduates either go directly into employment or into postsecondary
education and then into employment.  The Louisiana and Colorado Centers have
a similar success rate.