[rehab] mobility instructors and guide dog elligability

Gene Bourquin DHA oandmhk at msn.com
Fri May 13 21:04:21 UTC 2011

RJ,
Usually the dog guide schools ask a series of standard questions about applicants orientation and mobility skills .  It is typically not the cane skills, but rather the orientation skills that are important.  Dog guide users must constantly tell a dog where to go, and so schools do expect an applicant to have good orienteering skills.  The mobility instructor does not make any determination and I've never seen a question thats asks the mobility instructor if the person is appropriate for a dog.  The school collects a lot of different information and does its own assessment and determination.

Gene

Dr. Eugene
A Bourquin
DHA, COMS, CI & CT,
CLVT

Support deafblind children in Guatemala!
Go to www.FRIENDSofFUNDAL.org
Visit: http://www.bourquinconsulting.com/