[rehab] mobility instructors and guide dog elligability

Jane.Lansaw at dars.state.tx.us Jane.Lansaw at dars.state.tx.us
Mon May 16 15:57:26 UTC 2011

Tami's right, RJ. It's between you and the school to which you apply.  When a student asks me to be their reference for a dog guide school I usually just answer the questions on the form the school sends.  If the student asks me for a letter of reference, I only agree to it if they have completed the residential program where I work.  In letters I discuss the student's spatial orientation, attentiveness to environmental cues and ability to cross various types of streets safely.  If the student has other disabilities I discuss the alternative techniques used to work around those disabilities.  It isn't my place to suggest they may or may not be a good dog guide user, the school will decide that.  It's my job to give a clear picture of what this individual can do already, without the dog, to help the school make the decision to accept them for training.

Good luck,

Jane Lansaw
NOMC