[rehab] Blind people working

Jan Bailey jlb021951 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 00:30:27 UTC 2011

That's a complex question. Both are figured differently. If you earn over
$1640 per month on SSDI, and that's when you earn it, not when you get it,
you're not eligible after you work your nine trial work month period. For
SSI I think they count your money when you get it, but you need to double
check that. Before they take $2 for every one you earn, they take away what
are called blind work expenses. That would be transportation costs, lunch,
uniforms, equipment you might have to buy each month, and your FICA tax. I'm
not sure bout state and federal tax, but Social Security should be able to
answer that. You'll always be ahead of the game if you work some. You need
to be sure they take away the blind work expenses for SSI, because the rules
are different for the blind, and Social Security personnel don't always
remember that. The earnings limit is more for the blind for SSDI as well.
Hope this helps some. For SSDI you need prior permission to take away work
expenses like transportation, but they might allow that.
Jan