[rehab] What every rehab counselor and client should know.

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Wed Oct 12 14:10:12 UTC 2011

   Hi,

Over the last ten years, I've done a lot of training for NFB members and
rehabilitation professionals on the subjects of informed choice and writing
your own rehabilitation plan (IPE).  These four documents provide
key information that will be of benefit for everyone, consumer
and professional.  They contain a little legalese, but are pretty
user-friendly otherwise.  I think if everyone were to read and adhere to
them, there would be much less in the way of disagreements between consumers
and their counselors.

What are they?  Policy Directives (PD's) and Technical Assistance
Circulars (TAC's) interpret the law and regulations for agencies (referred
to as "Designated State Units" or "DSU's") and tell those agencies how
to stay in compliance with them.  Unfortunately, I don't think many
rehabilitation counselors see them.  The only consumers I know who have seen
them got them from me, and hopefully passed them on.  Thanks to Dr.
Schroeder, who made such clear intepretations of the law and regulations
when he was RSA Commissioner.