[rehab] Career exploration for the blind

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Wed Sep 28 14:23:01 UTC 2011

http://www.blind.msstate.edu/advantage/

Hi,

Over the years, I've had problems finding a really good career assessment
and exploration website for blind people, but I think I've finally found
it. This is a link to the information page for Mississippi State
University's "Career Advantage for V.I.P.s" website.  (According to the
site, V.I.P. means both "visually impaired person" and "very important
person.") Mississippi State, which runs the only Rehabilitation Research
and Training Center dedicated to the needs of blind people, created it
with federal funding.

A couple of days ago, I took the career assessment portion myself, and
liked it so much that I started using it with some of my students. There
is no charge for access to the site, but there is a multi-step process for
signing up.  Toward the bottom of the information page is an e-mail
address.  Send an e-mail to that address telling them you want to sign up
for it.  They will send you back a form to fill out and return, and after
they receive it, they will send you an e-mail telling you how to access
the site.  It's logically laid out and should be completely accessible via
screen reader.

I haven't gotten into the job seeking skills part of it yet, but thought
the career exploration part of it was so good that I wanted to share it
with the rest of you.  I'd be interested in knowing what you think of it.
If you like it, please pass the information on to others.

Dick Davis,
Assistant Director for Employment Programs, BLIND, Inc.
and Chair, NFB Employment Committee