[rehab] Private testing

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Nov 17 17:46:33 UTC 2012

Hi, all!

I've heard over the past few years of private consultants who appear to
do evaluations for assistive technology and provide testing for adaptive
skills like braille and other areas.

Can someone here tell me how that works in terms of how it is paid for
and by whom?

We've been spending the last year or more on family matters and finally
got ourselves moved to the small town where my father will be living out
his remaining years. So I am finally getting back to preparing to go job
seeking, although I continue to do what freelance -- mostly pro bono --
projects that come my way. I can be looking for more freelance projects
that perhaps are not so free while I'm job hunting.

I have a suspicion that having proper test scores for reading and
technology could greatly increase my odds of getting more projects,
especially at first. In this tiny market, I might find a nugget or two
here and there, but I would really like to continue to expand my
horizons beyond this area. We'll see. But I want to be prepared and that
means I need to figure out how to get those official test scores and
other assessments to reassure prospective employers and clients that
someone has verified I know how to do stuff now that I'm blind. /smile/

Thanks in advance for any information or direction anyone can provide.

I hope you are all getting ready for a happy and healthy holiday season!

Tami