[rehab] question for the list

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 18:44:19 UTC 2013

While it is always a good idea to give the new staff, especially those who
are visual, an idea of what persons with visual disabilities are
experiencing, immersion is not strictly necessary.  It really depends on the
person's job.  If you are going to teach a mobility instructor, using a
blind fold will give you an understanding of some of the potential
difficulties the consumers will face, and is probably the skill which is
most effective for immersion.  A person who is sighted takes for granted the
ability to see curves and to know how sharp they are, or how there are
shape.  The same goes for steps; the way I walk up and down steps is
different due to muscle tension.  Without the ability to see, even with use
of a cane, there are different minute muscle adjustments that have to be
made.  The cane only gives you about a half second to adjust.  While walking
or turning, careful placement of the feet and body dynamics are a must;
without sight, you have to learn to do these things on the fly.
Using a computer without the mouse, forces you to depend on the keyboard.
While it is possible to learn blindness related skills without immersion,
immersion may speed up such training.
Immersion for merely one day is not effective; one week is when techniques
like that start to be effective.  A one day immersion can give a person a
false sense of understanding; where as one week allows for many of the
inconveniences to set in.