[rehab] Using Linked In for Job Search

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Tue Aug 13 14:50:30 UTC 2013

Hi,

I was talking with our son-in-law Jim the other night about my work helping
blind people find jobs.  I mentioned the reference letter utility that one
of my former students discovered.  Jim said he uses Linked In exclusively
to find jobs.  He just got a job as manager of Adecco temporary services
for the State of Victoria in Australia.  The way he got it was to send out
messages to people he knew on Linked In, saying he was looking for a job
and telling them what kind of job he was looking for.  No online job
postings, no newspaper listings, no door knocking, no filling out
application forms, just contacts on Linked In.  He got several job offers,
and took the best of them.  Now, to be upfront, he is a sighted person, not
a blind one, and he has years of work experience.  However, Linked In can
still be a great tool for you!  Set up a profile, get online letters of
reference*, link to other people, endorse their skills and get them to
endorse yours, and when you have all your ducks in a row, do what Jim did
and see how well it works.  Networking has always worked, and Linked In is
the modern way to do it.  Note: Facebook is not, it is a social site, so go
with Linked In instead.  There is no charge to set up a Linked In account.

Dick Davis, Chair

NFB Employment Committee

*Since some companies will not do reference letters, ask former supervisors
and co-workers, who can use their home address instead of that of their
company.