[rehab] Activities at convention

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Thu Jun 6 14:01:28 UTC 2013

Hi,

I just wanted to remind all of you of three things:

1.       We need more employers to be part of our first annual NFB Job
Fair, which will be held on Monday July 1 at the national convention in
Orlando.  Setup for the employers is at 1:30 p.m., and the job fair itself
runs from 2-4:30 p.m.  There is no charge to employers or jobseekers.  This
is a great opportunity for affirmative action employers to take action that
is truly affirmative.  In the past we have had employers who showed up at
the Employment Committee meeting to announce jobs.  That will still be
available, but the job fair is a good way to meet people face to face.

2.       The annual Job Seekers Seminar will run from 8:30 a.m. to noon.
This year we will focus on the nuts and bolts of getting a job, including
how to prepare for the job search.  We will have a representative from
Monster.com there to show us how to use their system to apply for jobs
online.  They have many resources for jobseekers.   Unfortunately, we do
not have the ability to record the seminar this year, as our regular person
is unable to come to the convention this year.

3.       The Employment Committee meeting will be Thursday July 4th from
7-9 p.m.  The meeting will include an opportunity for people who are
looking for jobs to come and talk briefly about themselves, and for
employers to come and announce jobs they have available.  Organizations
that offer career planning or job search services will also be present.

If you would like to be involved in one of the above, the best way to get
in touch with me is by e-mailing me at one of the following addresses:
ddavis at blindinc.org and dickblind at gmail.com.  You can reach me at
612-872-0100, but I am unable to answer the phone when I am in classes, so
e-mailing me with your phone number will work best.  I am not averse to
calling people in the evening, so you can include that number too.

Thanks,

Dick Davis, Chair

NFB Employment Committee