[rehab] Good advice for students and jobseekers with disabilities

Sarah A sarahapple1984 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 00:02:30 UTC 2014

Hello group,
I came across this very good article on a blog called Ability
Cocktail. The article title is "To students with disabilities, you
will get more job and internship offers if you take this class".
Since the web address is long I created a short link for you:
http://goo.gl/PfKXu8

I'm also going to paste the first paragraph. I swear I'm not the Sarah
this article refers to! lol

Sincerely,
Sarah

"The Diamond Framework is a set of simple step-by-step strategies that
jobseekers with disabilities can follow during interviews to help them
present their ability and get the job. You might also want to read
Part 1 of this series:
Part 1: A job interview strategy framework designed specifically for
jobseekers with disabilities

A tale of two students

Sarah recently graduated from college and she is looking for a job in
human resources.  She also happens to be blind.  At her last job
interview, she talked about her past internships and the psychology
courses she took. However, secretly the employer was puzzled by how a
blind person would be able to carry out the duties of a HR generalist
such as training staff, giving onboarding presentations, juts to name
a few.  The mistake Sarah made was that she only discussed in general
terms what she could do.  As a result, the employer had trouble
picturing what that would be like and so they still didn’t know if she
could do the job at all. To be polite, the employers nodded along
during the interview and asked some general questions which Sarah
excelled at answering. As she left the interview, Sarah was sure she
nailed the interview and would get the job. That was a month ago and
she still hasn’t heard back from the employer.

Next, meet Sarah’s classmate Jason.  Jason is also blind and was also
looking for an entry-level..."