[rehab] Be Aware Reader CRC

therese gardner what-sharky at att.net
Fri Jan 10 16:15:37 UTC 2014

Hello All:

My name is Therese and I am a lerker on your list. Please to meet you all.

I wanted to providesome information on my CRC experience, as itmay be
helpful. You may also find it to be a tad bit distressing..

I sat for the exam in California in 2010.

I have no vision and am a fluent braille reader. I am also very fluent with
the use of JAWS on the computer.

When I sat for CRC, JAWS was not an option. I utilized a braille copy of the
exam, a reader, and scribe.

A.     I am happy JAWS is now in the mix.

Little sinicle I know but are we sure JAWS is in the mix?

Anyway, the reason I selected a reader rather then using braille all the way
through the exam is that I don't know anyone who can read braille for 6 to 8
hours straight without hands in pain and finger tips numb.

A.     Side note, the testing room was like a freezer. I am not kidding.

I also specified that the reader of the exam would need to have a mastery of
the English language (both reding and speaking). Yes this does make a
difference. I was assured that the reader would have both.

A.     Did this because I have had other experiences that taught me to
request this.

I am very glad I had that braille copy, and here is the reason why.

You have no say as to who is reding the exam to you. The person they
assigned to me could not read/speak English well at all. Without that
braille copy I was dead in the water.

The other thing to note, and I hope this has changed, is that while you are
answering the questions, the scribe is entering your responses into the
computer system. That was a true joy to. My reader commented several times
during the exam that "how do I enter this".

So please insure that whatever you request, you put in writing.

Thankfully I passed the exam. Much stress etc but I made it through.

And, yes, Monday morning (I took my exam on a Saturday) CRC got a phone call
from me.

I explained the situation. Sadly they weren't too worried about it. Does
makeone wonder about that.

I further explained that if I was unsuccessful in passing, CRC would be
paying for a new exam, as I was evaluated on how quickly I could adapt to
the testing environment rather then my knowledge/mastery of the material.

I do hope this is helpful to you.

Therese