[rehab] E-mail Addresses

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Wed Jul 20 17:38:50 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that a large number of people have their year of birth as
part of their e-mail address.  This could work against you when applying
for a job, because employers will be able to learn your age.  That means if
you are not in the age range they are looking for, they can screen you out
easily without your knowledge.  Age is one thing employers cannot ask for,
so don’t tempt them by giving them that information for free.  Change your
e-mail, please.

Some people also use odd or funny names for their e-mail addresses.  One of
my students was “funky ‘lil monkey”.  I told him that wouldn’t go over well
and that he needed a more dignified e-mail address if he was going to be
looking for jobs.

Also, please be careful what you put on Facebook.  One individual had a
picture of himself smoking dope from a bong on his birthday.  Imagine how
a prospective employer will view that!

Blind people do have a harder time getting jobs than sighted people, so
don’t shoot yourself in the foot by doing things that could work against
you.  Sometimes people, especially younger ones, don’t think of these
things, so this is just a bit of friendly advice.

Dick Davis, Chair

NFB Employment Committee