[rehab] Training abroad travel opportunity

Edward Bell ebell at pdrib.com
Fri Oct 28 13:07:34 UTC 2016

Orientation & Mobility Trainer Program Consultant Position Description

Empowerment Through Integration (ETI) is a 501(c)3 certified non-profit that is changing the narrative surrounding disability both for blind and sighted youth. We create integrated, supportive spaces with life skills training, emotional support, and community service opportunities. Through these integrated spaces, they are able to break down internal and external barriers surrounding views on ability in order to create positive change in society. Our ultimate goal is to enable society to understand that inclusion of all is a value for all.

One of our programs is the Life Skill Program, which is a training that introduces and teaches classes in mobility and orientation, independent life skills (such as cooking and banking), and technology use. This program is integral to preparing the visually-impaired youth for integrated settings and instilling confidence.

For this specific project, ETI is collaborating with organizations working with youth who are blind and visually-impaired and would like to implement this program. We are recruiting for an Orientation & Mobility Trainer Program Consultant who will go and train the staff and organization. This person will provide them with the basic skills needed so that they can provide ETI’s life skills training program to their own beneficiaries.

The following is an annual timeline for these projects:

•         Phase 1 – 1 Week Trip to Organization for Research and Training (This is to gather the local context.)

•         Phase 2 – 3 Months to Tailor the curriculum and prepare the pre-intervention focus groups and surveys

•         Phase 3 – Return back to organization in order to carry out 1 Week Training of Staff and Evaluation

•         Phase 4 – Return back to organization (3 months later) to reinforce the training, train the organization participants (beneficiaries), and plan for future sustainability.

In addition to conducting the training on the ground, consultants will also be asked to collect research and evaluation data and materials that our organization can use for external relations, donor engagements, and annual reporting.

ETI will cover all travel-related expenses (cost of travel, lodging, food, etc.).

POSITION REQUIREMENTS

ETI is looking for interested candidates that are able to commit to a 6-8 month project. On average, it will be a 3-5 hours per week commitment with the exception of the 3 field visits as noted in the above timeline. On average, field visits are 1-2 weeks each except the final phase will be 2-3 weeks as the consultant will be training both the staff and their participants. Consultants will be supervised by Kathy Zwald, ETI’s Life Skill Program Manager.

Candidates must be willing to travel, have a flexible schedule, and have a deep understanding and value for cultural differences and environments. Comfort working with diverse populations is a must. Candidates must also believe in the empowerment of people with visual impairments, and carry a positive attitude and high expectations of what this population can achieve.

PROJECT DATES

The project will start between January-March 2017. This is flexible based on organization or trainer needs and schedules. The project will need to be completed by the end of 2017. ETI’s Research and Evaluation Unit will check in 6 months later to collect data, and may need to contact consultants.

QUALIFICATIONS

•         Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Orientation & Mobility

•         Certified instructor in Orientation and Mobility (ACVREP or NOMC certified)

•         5 years of professional experience in several different environments

TO APPLY

Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references to Hillary Dolinsky, Operations Director, at hdolinsky at etivision.org <mailto:hdolinsky at etivision.org> .

Edward C. Bell, Ph.D., CRC, NOMC

Director, Professional Development and Research

Institute on Blindness

Louisiana Tech University

210 Woodard Hall

PO Box 3158

Ruston LA 71272

Office: 318.257.4554                      Fax: 318.257.2259 (Fax)                Skype: edwardbell2010

 <mailto:ebell at latech.edu> ebell at latech.edu            www.pdrib.com <http://www.pdrib.com>

"I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops."

-- Stephen Jay Gould