[rehab] [Nfbnet-members-list] Dick Davis/BLIND Inc. Retirement

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Mon Sep 5 23:06:11 UTC 2016

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for your good wishes.  I literally meant anyone interested  needs to
get in touch with Dan Wenzel.  There will be no formal job description,
because it will be impossible to find anyone who has the skills I have.  We
are looking for the best person we can find, and may need to develop the job
around the individual.  But since my notice of retirement was primarily
that, and not a job posting, I have taken some time to list the sort of
qualifications a person should ideally have:

1. Real administrative and management experience in a training or
rehabilitation program for the blind, or something closely related.
2. Experience providing rehabilitation and training services to blind
people, and knowledge of the rehab system.
3. Knowledge of private sector fundraising methods and the ability to raise
money.
4. Marketing and job placement skills, including the ability to teach
careers classes, which will involve designing them.  That's about half the
position.
5. No ego - this is in large part a behind the scenes job in which the
individual will not be in the spotlight at all.
6. Willing subordination - the individual in this job will be an extension
of the director and must always support the director.  Any disagreements
with the director will be handled privately and never come to light.
7. A wide range of skills and abilities - the person in the job will be
expected to do anything that needs doing, including supervising construction
projects and plunging toilets (I am not kidding).
8. Credibility within the NFB.
9. Lots of energy and creativity.
10. Can be blind or sighted, we literally don't care.
11. Willingness to make a long term commitment to BLIND, Inc.
12. Love of hard work and dedication to blind people.

For this position, we intend to use a method of hiring similar to the one
Dr. Jernigan used.  We are looking for bright, qualified, energetic people
who could fit into the job.  If you think you would be a good assistant
director for BLIND, Inc., it doesn't hurt to apply.  Dan will know what he
wants when he sees it.  Resumes and cover letters should be as complete as
possible, targeted to the above qualifications.  If anyone submitted a
resume earlier and would like to submit a new one, they are welcome to do
so.  It is vitally important to be yourself and convey the kind of person
you are.  We will read and study all the resumes and cover letters we
receive, and contact the top applicants for interviews.

Best wishes,