[rehab] Questions about rehab counseling and individuals with more than one disability and structured discovery learning

Carlos Montas carlos.montas at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 06:27:02 UTC 2017

Good morning to you all. My name is Carlos Montas and I am a vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.  I need to point out that before asking my question, I need to  point out that I have six years of experience as a counselor 5 of those years I worked with the Blind Services agency in Florida.    I just got hired to work with the Iowa Department for the Blind as a counselor.  I also need to point out that I am also a graduate of the Louisiana Center for the Blind.  My question is for those of you who work with agencies who practice the structured discovery  learning method, how are you as center staff, and or counselors  dealing with clients who have other significant disabilities?   My second question is what can agencies do to better prepare staff and or counselors to better deal with clients who may need  more assistance in terms of getting through a six to 9 month program?  Another issue that I am seeing is the fact that the blind population in many States is getting older.  So how do we all as Center staff, and or counselors deal with clients who want to work,  but who for one reason or another can not make a commitment to a six to nine month training program?  One of the issues I am seeing is that there are just not enough resources to provide the rehab teaching to individuals who can not attend a training center. I would appreciate every ones thoughts on these topics.  I would also like some feedback on practicing rehab counseling in rural settings.  What tips could you give me as this is a new experience for me.  Thanks again for taking the time to read my post.  Sincerely,   Carlos Montas

Sent from my iPhone