[rehab] "Is it enough . . ."

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Sun Jun 25 00:21:01 UTC 2017

One of our Job Fair registrants asked what seemed to him a logical
question: did he have to bring along print copies of his resume, or was it
enough to have it on his cell phone, show it to employers, and email it to
them?

Now I confess, I almost lost it a bit on that one, but one of my basic
beliefs is that there is no such thing as a dumb question.  After all,
blind people use technology all the time, and isn't it more convenient to
bring an electronic file instead of a sheaf of paper resumes?

But the real question is - convenient for who?  The interviewer or the
blind job seeker?  Clearly not the employer, who has to pick up somebody
else's (sweaty) cell phone and strain to see a tiny screen.  The employer
would clearly prefer a nice clean resume on quality paper.  Like resume
paper, for example. And in a nice folder so it stays neat.

Then, as the meeting progresses, the interviewer, who's likely to be
sighted, can use a pen to write marginal notes on the resume.  Such as
"nice personality - hire!" or other things that will jog his or her memory
later.

So if you feel the need to ask the question, "is it enough?", the answer is
probably no.  Do more.  Do more than anyone else, and you will probably get
the job. Do less, and you probably won't.

Good luck in your job search.

Dick Davis
Employment Committee Chair