[rehab] [Jobs] SSDI and SSI work incentives

Dick Davis ddavis at blindinc.org
Thu Oct 12 15:54:50 UTC 2017

Hi Dave,

Justin is correct.  $1,950 is the amount you can earn on a monthly basis
without losing your SSDI benefits.  If you are interested in keeping your
SSDI, make sure you stay under it.  I believe the $750 to which you refer
is the amount of monthly earnings that count against your trial work
period, which is that 9 month period I mentioned earlier.  Sometimes
people think if they earn less than $1,950 a month, they are keeping their
trial work period, but it doesn't work that way.  That is why I recommend
that people earn as much as they want during that nine month period and
lower their earnings below $1,950 before the end of it.
Impairment-Related Work Expenses and Blind Work Expenses help reduce your
earnings so you can stay on SSDI or SSI.

Now someone might wonder, "what happens to me if I am earning under $1,950
and slip up one month and earn more?  What happens is that you lose your
SSDI for that month, not forever.  But please, everyone, read the Red
Book.  It is easy to understand, and it will tell you lots of other
things, such as how you can go to work, lose your SSDI or SSI, and still
keep Medicare or Medicaid.  A lot of people worry about losing their
medical coverage.  Or how a student under age 22 can work during the
summer and school year without it affecting their SSI.
https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-work-ussi.htm is the link that will lead you
to that information.  Now, why don't some of you bright people explore the
Red Book and share what you find with others on this list? I don't want to
have to do all the work!

Best wishes,