[rehab] COLA - more than just somethign to drink

Justin Williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 19:09:58 UTC 2017

Oh, 2018; got you.
 Didn't see the year.
 Justin

-----Original Message-----
From: rehab [mailto:rehab-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Dick Davis via rehab
Sent: Friday, October 13, 2017 3:06 PM
To: jobs at nfbnet.org; rehab at nfbnet.org
Cc: Dick Davis <ddavis at blindinc.org>; gwunder at nfb.org; Employment-Committee at nfbnet.org; Eller, Stephanie <SEller at nfb.org>
Subject: [rehab] COLA - more than just somethign to drink

COLA – how refreshing!  Especially when it means more money in your pocket!

Social Security announced the following COLA changes in a document that didn’t seem JAWS accessible, so I copied out the following for you.  For those of you who don’t know what I am talking about, it is the Cost Of Living Adjustment that Social Security does most years.  Starting January 1, 2018, your benefits will go up 2%.

·         To figure out how much it will increase your SSDI, multiply your
existing amount by 102%, or by 1.02 if you don’t like to do percentages.

·         SSI will be $750 per month for an individual and $1,125 for a
couple.  That’s the basic amount, not counting any state supplement.

·         Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) will go up to $1,970 a month.
That’s the amount you have to stay under if you want to keep your SSDI benefits.

·         The Trial Work Period (TWP) amount will go up to $850 a month. If
you are on SSDI and make more than that in a given month, you will lose one month of your nine month TWP.

·         The Student Earned Income Exclusion, which allows students under
the age of 22 to work without losing any of their SSDI, goes up to $1,820 a month or $7,350 a year.  (I bet most people don’t know about that
program.)

Happy earnings, people!

Dick Davis, Chair
NFB Employment Committee