[rehab] Suggestions for Using a Walker Along with a Cane

Christopher Tabb christabb at me.com
Fri Sep 8 18:33:10 UTC 2017

Mary,
Depending on the type of walker you have, and the type of terrain you are traveling across, such as thick carpet compared to tile, the strategies may vary a bit. With a rollator type walker, the kind with wheels on the front and back and often with handbrakes, you can basically use one hand on the walker and the other on the long cane. If necessary to minimize veering, you can also keep the side of your cane hand on the handle or grip of the walker to keep it more aligned with your direction of travel.

The style of walker that is on sliders, tennis balls, or other non-rolling type of ground contact, you will need to change to more of a sweep then walk pattern. This is quite tedious at first but becomes more fluid with use.

Hope that helps for starters!

--
Chris Tabb

christabb at me.com <mailto:christabb at me.com>